So I watched the game last night at Farrago's with a private party of sorts and spoke with a guy, Sam, about some cool eateries with some History around here.
Top four spots I got out of the convo:
Thelma's BBQ
Etta's Lounge
The Mink
Leon's Lounge
Thelma's is one of those 'out of a house' places that's apparently quite famous! Sam regailed me with his recent experience of a Rudy's catered event in Austin and said that Thelma's is not quite as good (and you don't even get any 'extra moist' at catered events), but!, considering I judge ALL briskets by the benchmark that is Rudy's, I'm not surprised and would still give Thelma's a shot. That said, Roy Burns BBQ is another 'out of a house' joint that I need to check out.
Etta's is supposed to be yet another 'out of a house' hole in the wall where mama Etta cooks down home soul food at the greatest of ease! The moment Sam said that mama Etta was there, I knew immediately that I had to be there too! He said you are completely slammed with Christian paraphenalia as you walk in the door and everything's just run down enough - true Southern living here - and I can't tell you how much that would say about the food in my mind!
Apparently, the Mink offers 10 dollar bottles of wine on Tuesdays! Pretty good selection too from what I've been told. Pretty laid back joint with mods/hipsters/scenesters/nerds/geeks/professionals, etc, supposedly a good mix and cheap wine. At least worth a look and only a few steps away from Tacos a Go Go if it doesn't look good ;)
Leon's Lounge is supposed to rival La Carafe as the oldest bar in town and just as Warren's, is supposed to be chalk full of locals, run for and by the locals for years and years. A true dive bar in midtown where you can go and have a good conversation and drink...
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment