This little Houston Chronicle article irks me, not the article itself, but what it says about Houston.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/sixel/5634211.html
This especially gets to me because I've been spending the time and effort to really get to know this 'little' city of ours and I gotta say, it's a spectacular city!
Unfortunately, if you sit on your butt and watch TV all day at home, ANY city is going to suck. It's a matter of accessibility and sprawl. You lose playing that game in Houston, but if you're willing to take the horse by the reins and find the things you're interested in, you'll find that Houston has EVERYTHING.
The food and the people are the things that are most commented on in this city, but there's so much more from great local bars/pubs that make you feel at home, to wonderful indie live music venues that bring in really great local talent (it's true, if you don't believe me, call me, I'll take you), to wonderfully intimate live venues like the Verizon theatre that make you feel like it's just you and the performer.We have a bustling theatre district with some of the most amazing performances that you would never have guessed would even sneeze in Houston, but here they are nonetheless, and you wonder, how did that happen?
Don't forget the cool museums, both large AND small (some of those small ones are really really amazing, like the Holocaust Museum)
And if you like sports, shoot, choose a professional sport, and we have a beautiful stadium for you to enjoy them in!
I'll tell you! Houston's a great city that noone seems to know! Not only can you find what you want, but you can find it in multiple locations to suit your own needs!
I hate that I keep hearing people say that Houston sucks. Houston does not suck. You just have to go out and discover it, be adventurous, and don't be afraid to say 'hello' to the person next to you, you never know what kinds of wonderful tidbits they can give you about this great city. I seem to find a little bit of unique Houston every time I go out!
If you want to know just SOME of the things going on around town for the spring and summer, check out the downtown spring and summer events guide (bet you never knew some of those things even existed in this city)
http://www.houstondowntown.com/Home/LowerLeft/EventGuide/EventGuide/fullsize.JPG
OH, and if you're free April 6th or 20th, come join me and some friends at the 2008 Japanfest and Crawfish Festival (respectively)!!
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment