Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter and the rest of the Triduum

So I had a pretty darn good Triduum this year! This is I believe, one of the first years that I actually attended all three days of the Triduum, all really due to the fact that I sing in the choir at my local church.
I have to say, I don't remember being so moved in previous years, but each day had it's moment when I actually got a little choked up thinking about what we were doing and what was truly happening ...

Holy Thursday. As I sat there during mass, I remember thinking of all the other times that I had been in a mass and actually taken part in the washing of the feet. I actually do remember taking part in it back for a couple of years at the University Catohlic Center in Austin. I want to even say that I did it the first year I was there and we were still in the 'old' building. wow. That was a while back.
At this church though, they don't invite the whole congregation to take part, but ask a few folks who have truly given so much to the church in the past year to come up and not only get their own feet washed, but wash others'. as I have done for you...
This year, as I sang during this part, I sat and watched and lost myself from time to time in that simple act, somehow we linked back and it was as if the past and the present were all there in one action and my mind just raced thinking that this, this was what Jesus did, knowing that he would die. How many of us can give up ourselves in humility like that...

Good Friday. I decided not to go to the 3pm at my local church as I was dead tired after work and everything so I decided to join some of my good friends at St. Clare of Assisi's 7pm. What a beautiful ceremony! I DEFINITELY remember going to Good Friday masses in my college days. I remember vividly placing nails at the foot of the cross, bending my whole body down in veneration and just praying. I remember vividly placing rose petals, kissing the wood and just laying there. This year, I came up, knelt on both knees and tried my best to brush the bottom most part of the cross. I just didn't feel worthy enough to do much else.

Easter vigil. The big show. Here it came and I can't remember a more fun Easter mass that I had been to. We have a wonderful French Cajun priest at my local church who has no qualms letting the Holy Spirit come on out and keep things lively! The joy and the utter amazement in his words and actions are very apparent and it's fun to watch. period. After he blessed those newly inducted, he couldn't help himself and just burst forth, "I love doing that!" and I believed him!
The most poignant part though for me, was right before he asks each candidate, "do you wish to be baptized in the faith that you have just proclaimed?" It is SO different heard like this than when it's a child being baptized! do YOU wish it? Not, do you wish this child to, or anything else, it is YOU. It's a wholly personal decision that these people get to make in full knowing. how amazing! I can't lie, I was slightly jealous that they got to make that decision like that.
The congregation was so awesome too! After each person had been drenched in the waters, a great big 'AMEN' went through the crowd and then huge applause! These people were truly overjoyed to welcome their new brothers and sisters and it was SO good! And I remember the last gentleman, when the last pitcher of water was poured over his head, an older gentleman near me whom I can only believe was his father or father in law or something like that, bolt up straight out of his seat and clapped as if noone were watching. The pride in the simple, yet so joyous, act of deliberate, and knowing surrender was so evident in the father's actions, it was truly moving.

Easter morning. So I went to morning mass with my parents as I often do, but this year was ever more important as I cannot forget to spend time at church with the family on such an important day. Getting to take part in Easter mass with the 'rents is always joyful. What stuck out in my mind though, as I went to receive the cup, it was a familiar gentleman who offered it, and although it is a Korean church and he's white (and he offers the cup in Korean), he gave a welcoming smile as I came up, said in English, "The blood of Christ," as if saying to me, peace be with you, and it felt like going home again.
Then catch up with old friends and go home to spend lunch/dinner with the family. Good times for sure.

Hoping your Easter was as blessed and wonderful as my own.

No comments: