So I'm sitting here taking a break on a Saturday night, just catching up on some shows and honestly, just trying to slow my 1098102938 mph life for a moment in time. What am I watching? well, what else? Anthony Bourdain, no reservations of course! And what's the topic or place of eats you ask? Obsessed.
Now I like to think I'm pretty freakin obsessed with food. I really do. I really am. But as they say, there's always someone more ____ than you. I agree.
Right now on the show, he's going through a little vignette on three food bloggers and well, what else, eating with them. Anthony Bourdain makes a set of comments as each blogger takes out a camera and snaps shots of the food and AB asks, at what point do you just enjoy the food? There's obsessed and then there's letting your amazing food get cold and not as good as when it first comes out!!
Now I am DEFINITELY one to take pictures of my food because honestly, it's beautiful stuff, not just visually, but mentally. I am definitely of the opinion that you need to feast with your eyes and mind before you eat and especially when I'm cooking, I like to set up each guest mentally and visually before serving because it's an EXPERIENCE, not just eating, but an experience.
But there have been occasions when I forget to whip out the camera and occasions when I specifically do NOT take it out because I know there's something special in front of me.
Usually, it's not just amazing food that I want to devote all my time and energy at THAT specific time on, but it's also ridiculously amazing company that I want to devote all my time and energy on as well.
I just came back from NYC eating at arguably the most amazing meal that I've had in my life at PER SE, and I remember making what seems to me now, an absolutely absurd comment. We had great banter with our server and at one point in the night I said something along the lines of, "this food is amazing and wonderful, but it's just food, I am enjoying the experience because of the company, I am here for the company and getting to enjoy this with the amazing people in my life." Shocking. Me, David, dismissed the food in favor of the company! And you know what, I didn't once take my camera out (luckily one of my friends did), but I was absolutely caught up in the moment of that meal, that company, and it was in a word, fun.
I have to admit, without the fantastic company that I keep when I eat, it just wouldn't make any sense. If I can't share the experience with people, both those I love and care about and the new strangers who become fast friends because of the experience, then this obsession would mean absolutely nothing to me.
So to all those out there that I am honored to share food and drink with, salud! Let's have another ;)
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment