So I've had a chance to start up the search again and I got to experience a couple of choice places this weekend!
Romeros Las Brazas:
Heck if I know what the heck that translates to (I'm sure I could google translate it), but all I know is that the breakfast tacos were amazing! The place is waaay out off FM1960 and 290, but if you live out that way, it's worth a stop over. Probably worth a stop over even if you don't live that way!
The tortillas were, of course, FRESH made daily and served hot. This is almost a requirement of a mexican place for me now (spoiled? maybe.). I had two tacos, the chicharrones and the barbacoa.
The chicharrones one was good! For the uninitiated, chicharrones are fried pork skins, yes, that stuff. =) Except they slathered the pork skins with a beautifully spicy green chile sauce stuffed into that fresh tortilla, yum.
But the real scene stealer was the barbacoa! I've never tasted barbacoa with quite this kind of flavor before! It was mild, yet flavorful, with a wonderful mouthfeel that wasn't super greasy, but you could still taste all the goodness that is fat rendered out of the meat! And for 1.75 a pop, that's about the right price for the quality of fare here.
YUM.
The King Biscuit Cafe:
Now this place had ambiance! I would regularly go to this place if I could! It was a cute little cafe out on the north end of downtown in the older section of town. Brightly colored inside and out, lots of kitsch and interest without being pompous at all.
Maggie and Nick took care of us as if we were guests at their house, awesome. You could really tell that the people who work here care about the place and it not only was reflected in the food they served, but in their outright interest in their customers!
I found out that Nick wasn't even a server! He's actually the night cook! And Maggie was filling in that morning as well for one of the other workers who just decided not to show up. I tell ya, the place was so cool, it made me want to go and put some hours in myself!
I had the biscuits and gravy, and this was a very different biscuits and gravy for sure! Although I do love the traditional buttermilk biscuits with white meaty gravy, this one had a wonderful white meaty gravy with big ol chunks of breakfast sausage in it, but on special toasty rolls with just a hint of sourdough it seemed (maybe I was wrong)... Very good stuff and with very nicely cooked country potatoes, what a great plate! reasonably priced at 6.95 for the dish as a brunch item and we were definitely good to go =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Umm yeah 'hello' really in love with your Blog....nice to know you have one! Crazy!!! :) Thanks for the comment, Ill let D know if he doesnt already!!! :D Have a happy Labor Day! Dont get too wild on me!
Post a Comment